The Ligature



Witch of the unbroken note—  

warm brass against the teeth,  

a sweetness with enough weight in it  

 to lean on—  

let me come closer.  

Your neck takes the lamplight slowly;  

the light goes no farther.  

I have one match left. You were singing  

when the first road sank here,  

when its builders, boot by boot,  

went into the peat.  

Still that bare shoulder. Still  

no breathmark in your music.


Three centuries have sent their pumps here.  

The impellers rot beside their makers.  

You have not aged  

by the crease one night puts  

beside a sleeper’s mouth.  

Only your pitch descends.  

I follow it.  

I lower my lamp. The water lifts  

your mouth to mine.


I brought the plate myself.  

Two names. Two dates.  

An inch of unengraved bronze  

 between.  

I wanted something wide enough to weather  

the public hunger for an ending.  

No. That is a lie.  

I wanted their deaths to look less final.  

I ordered the lettering to lean  

toward its fellow;  

I approved the proof.  

Under your tongue the finished metal warms.  

Each little hook of script  

reaches farther than the hand that drew it.


They were tender sometimes.  

One shelled peas into the other’s apron;  

one, shaking, let the other shave  

the hollow underneath the jaw.  

I saw that.  

I did not see the days alone,  

the drawer shut with a hip,  

the letter carried twice to the stove  

and carried back.  

Or was there a letter?  

Look at me—manufacturing even  

their concealment.  

Give me their mouths before I furnish them  

with answers.


You open yours.  

The note comes up through root and coffin tack,  

through the clay packed tight against a tooth.  

So close: the small rough catch  

I knew from one of their throats,  

then the other’s whistle through a chipped incisor.  

I step past the iron fence.  

I step where the fence has rusted into water.  

Your singing draws the warmth out of my lamp  

and puts it underneath my ribs.


You—your unbroken note  

 solders shut  

  the rests.  

That was the sweetness: nowhere for the ear  

to fall through.  

Nowhere for either buried mouth to stop  

while the other went on speaking.  

The blank inch blisters.  

Letters skid across it, shank against shank;  

the loops lock.  

I cannot tell whose consonant  

has caught in whose.  

Beautiful throat,  

this is your workmanship.  

I lift the plate to hear beneath it.  

From both bolt holes  

the same rich answer blows.  

Whose?  

A reed strikes metal.  

I hold it harder to my ear.  

You sing it hotter.


Then leave one nick! One fault in the casting!  

Give back the little irregularity  

by which a key refuses  

the wrong door.  

I loved them.  

There—my credential, damp with sweat,  

held up to your enormous listening.  

I loved them; therefore I could surely  

reach down, straighten this,  

 undo—  

my fingers stick.  

The plate takes prints from me.  

You have been waiting for the living pressure  

that will make its letters legible again.


And still your sound is good to put my cheek against.  

Let that stand.  

The marsh’s cold machinery  

has slackened at my knees;  

under your hand the old ache in my shoulder  

comes loose from the bone.  

For this relief I would have come.  

For less.  

But now the note draws air through me  

without my leave. My lungs are bellows;  

when I clamp my lips,  

my ribs keep feeding you.  

There will be no last breath  

I can call mine.


Lady, your unbroken note  

is taking the toolmarks from the bronze,  

taking the toothmarks from my tongue.  

How tenderly you smooth the place  

where I would stop you.  

One letter still stands clear.  

I cup my hand around it.  

Your mouth is warm against my wrist;  

beneath my palm  

 its upright softens,  

  bends toward the others.