The Interval Between Visits



I. Bench record


For the next keeper at Miskatonic: the test pot held archived well-silt, the control plain bark. Only the first flowered. The millimetre scale is legible in every photograph; the colour around the roots is absent.


Hold still, I told the orchid.

Its lower lip had lifted from the fringe

just far enough to shelter

the crescent bitten from my thumbnail.


Under the pot, where water should have drained,

a brightness thickened. Roots grew into it.

I tried the colour chart;

each square looked weathered when I brought it near.


Four drops struck glass. Four drops. The fan

took up the intervals and let them go.


For seven evenings I had come

after the visitors, when every bench

but this one could be left.


I washed the bark-dust from my wrists.

I changed my shirt

before I went to water it.


II. The night porter’s message


She sent this before I described the plant to her. I have kept her words and shortened the silence.


“I killed the light. I tried the latch.

I checked for rain. The pane was dry.

Four knocks, a pause; then four inside

my coat. I took it off.


Hold still.


The dust won’t fall. I can’t brush it off.”


The coat remained in her locked cupboard.

I dreamed its lining opened on my bed:

the cuff, the double stitching,

one pale thread drawn through a needle hole.


I put my arm inside.


The sleeve went on. I walked

along its seam until the greenhouse lights

were smaller than the stitch I had entered through.


At the wrist, a warmth

without a hand.


III. Accession envelope


The packet bears the herbarium’s stamp and the date 1882; although its inventory lists only silt from the Gardner well, I opened it to compare its contents with the dust on her coat.


The dust had settled in a fold

the shape of the flower’s lower lip.

Beneath it, something fine

as the hairs at a wrist was pressed into the paper.


Not a drawing: under magnification,

the fibres bent toward the hollow.

The label gave the weight

as three grams, including paper.


Hold still.

I braced the ruler with my wrist.


The notch beneath my thumbnail fitted;

past the thumbnail, the crease continued

beyond the envelope’s closed end.


I cannot give the date of what came next.


In sleep, the desk withdrew. The paper did not tear.

A pale thread passed through points of light,

and where it tightened, one point dimmed,

then others took its place.


All this before

the fringe had moved a millimetre.


IV. Sleep dictation


The bedside camera shows my closed mouth. The recorder nevertheless retains my pitch, my little clearing cough. I wrote the following on waking.


The lip lay open. Along its rim

suns clotted, loosened, sifted into dust.

A space was kept between the hairs.

Something approaching changed that space

without becoming visible.


The hairs lay flat beneath its passage,

rose with a brightness on their tips.

One light tore loose.

Another, farther down the fringe, fastened.


I tried to raise my hand

beside it for the scale.


Hold still.


The hand was gone. The space went on

accepting distances. The sleeve

I walked through took a crease,

then straightened for a length I couldn’t follow.


I called it nearer. I called it here.

I called until the words wore clear

of breath, and still the voice said here.


On the recording, after I wake

and cross the room,

the word continues at the empty bed.


V. Disposal certificate / enclosure


I cut the roots and burned the plant. I stirred the ash, sealed it, disconnected the water. For three nights the dry glass made no sound. These observations close the bench record.


Before I cut it, I went back

in the clean shirt and set my cheek against

the glass. I waited for the cold

to turn to warmth. It did;

I stood there after I could tell

the warmth was mine.


There is a photograph beneath this sheet.

I kept the one in which my hand

looks least like something offered.


The shirt is washed. The cuff has kept

a faint grey line where something rested,

or where I leaned against the pot.


Set your thumb against the printed lip.

The paper takes your warmth.


Hold still.