The Garden as It Stood


 

On her last day at Northstead Garden, Dana records a tidy handover for the stranger who will replace her. But old tapes echo phrases she thought were hers, turning practical advice into a quiet puzzle about memory, influence, and what a voice leaves behind.


Before I recorded anything, I took the spray nozzle off the hose and put it in the drawer marked NOZZLES. The drawer contained gloves, screws, and no other nozzles. I moved the gloves. There ought to be one morning, at least, when the next caretaker could find what a label promised.


I had worked at Northstead Garden for eighteen years. My name, Dana Mercer, was on the office door in letters I had ordered myself; by the end of the afternoon the letters would be off and the key surrendered. Whoever followed me would have the inventory and these recordings. We would not overlap. I knew nothing about you, which made you unusually easy to instruct.


The walled garden was small enough for one person to know intimately and large enough for that person to be permanently behind. I had made a page of headings and decided to record each bed separately. Nobody looking for the water shutoff should have to listen to my opinions about roses.


The useful things were often small. The office door swelled in wet weather; lifting as you turned the handle was better than kicking. The wheelbarrow with the bent tray was sounder than the newer one. I had demonstrated both for the phone, absurdly, as though you could see me. Then I had started again. I was looking forward to being free of these responsibilities, but I wanted you to know them properly. I had taken the inventory out of its plastic sleeve twice to add things I thought I could bear to leave unmentioned.


I carried the phone outside. The last shower had left beads on the anemone leaves in the east bed. Three shoots had crossed the brick edging; one had emerged where the hose ought to lie. I tied red cord around the main clump. Removal was the last substantial job I meant to do before leaving.


New handover, 13:42.


  • East bed. The Japanese anemone is to come out. It treats an edge as an invitation. Along the north wall, the hollyhocks are expendable. Keep the wall legible.


A useful sentence, I thought. The wall was old, its bricks unevenly fired, and I liked to see it uninterrupted above a low border. The hollyhocks stood against it in various stages of exhaustion, their seed cases splitting into little wheels. Earlier in the summer a white one had been exceptionally good. I had forgotten that until I found its label.


I hesitated over saving the seed. There was an envelope in my pocket, but to save it would be to recommend it, and I had just recommended getting rid of the plants.


  • Leave it for the next hand.


I stopped the recording. The envelope stayed empty.


At the east bed I checked the irrigation line before beginning to dig. I could no longer remember whether the old branch beneath the path had been capped or merely isolated. I had never needed it. This was precisely the sort of thing a handover ought to resolve, unlike whether a hollyhock could be accused of sentimentality.


Miriam’s cassette was still in the office drawer. On its case she had written WATER on one side and EVERYTHING ELSE on the other. We had spent three mornings together when I started. I remembered her sun-browned forearms and the way she shut a tap with her whole hand rather than her fingertips. I could not have described her voice until it came out of the little player.


Miriam Kells, handover cassette, 2008, side A.


  • The branch under the path is capped. Don’t excavate it. I already excavated it. Once is enough for any pipe.


I put a tick beside the line on the plan and turned the cassette over. The tape continued while I looked for a pencil that would write on the damp inventory.


  • Anemone, east side. An edge is an invitation to those things. Keep after them or you’ll lose the path. Anything you’re not sure about, leave it for the next hand. They get paid too.


I laughed. There she was, and there I was with her, eighteen years later, having promoted her joke to a principle of succession.


I played the passage again. Her words were not quite mine. Mine were smoother. I had improved the sentence until I could believe I had made it.


A little farther on, Miriam said:


  • Don’t take the whole clump out on my account. It flowers when a lot of things have given up. Depends how much digging you enjoy.


She advised keeping the north-wall planting low, then moved on to washers for the tap. There was no special pause around the permission, no indication that she considered it as important as I now did. I sat through the washers, the stiff lock, the mouse she had not caught. She was allowing for a person with different tolerances. I had inherited her complaint more completely than her concession.


I remembered her showing me that drawer on our second morning. I had stood with a new notebook open, anxious to get things right. She had waited while I wrote something down. I could not remember what it was.


Under the cassette was the notebook she had left with it. I had used the watering diagrams often; I had seldom opened the back, where expenses and hours crowded each other in columns. For her final summer, beside six successive weeks, she had written NO RELIEF. In the margin of one page: east path again. Two pages later: east path AGAIN.


I knew what a spreading clump looked like after six weeks without help. I knew what it looked like from the office window when you were trying to eat something before going out to deal with it. That knowledge did not tell me how Miriam had felt, but it made her instruction less amusing.


Outside, the anemone held its white flowers well above the leaves. One was turned toward the wall. A bead of water travelled down its stem and stopped at a leaf. The clump was troublesome. It was also the best thing in that bed just then. Those facts had managed to coexist until I tied the cord.


I went back to my phone.


  • The anemone spreads beyond the edging. Miriam Kells advised keeping it in check. I have usually done that twice a season. Complete removal is my recommendation, not an established requirement.


That seemed fair. I liked the added precision. I was not yet troubled by how much more of a person an instruction became when you attached a name.


The older cassettes were in a biscuit tin underneath Miriam’s notebooks. I had intended to list the tin as a single object: historical recordings. Now I emptied it. There were four tapes, some loose labels, and a folded north-border plan in Colin Reeves’s handwriting. I knew the handwriting from labels I had scrubbed and reused. He made a small cross through his sevens. Several of my supposedly blank labels still carried his numbers as pale scratches.


His plan showed hollyhocks in irregular groups, with lower plants crossing between them. A chair had been drawn at one end of the wall. Unlike the plants, it had been rendered carefully enough to include the slats.


The attached proposal, dated 1987, asked for a less formal treatment of the north border. A later committee note said the existing character should be retained. Beneath that, in the same hand as the plan, was a smaller sentence: Leave it for the next hand.


Not a joke about wages this time. Or I did not hear it as one.


The cassette dated 1992 began with Colin explaining that he had omitted earlier discussions and was describing the garden as it stood. I fast-forwarded to the north wall, stopped too late, and went back through the slow underwater sound of reversing tape.


Colin Reeves, handover cassette, 1992.


  • Keep the north wall legible. I don’t mean empty. An empty bed is perfectly clear and gives you nothing to look at. But the hollyhocks make rather too many interruptions. It’s like trying to read a letter someone has written across twice. That’s unfair to the flowers, possibly. Pull the seedlings before they get a hold.


My phone lay beside the player. I played my earlier instruction, then his. Keep the wall legible. Keep the north wall legible. His voice wandered into an analogy and came back apologizing; mine went straight to the order. The resemblance was concentrated in the part that told someone what to do.


There was no difficulty imagining the route. Colin had instructed Miriam; Miriam had instructed me. I might have listened to this cassette years ago while searching for something else. I had not inventoried every source of my vocabulary.


But I had stood in front of that wall and felt the rightness of its being clear. Nobody had needed to stand beside me saying legible. I had experienced the preference as a small private pleasure, as much mine as the relief of loosening my boots.


I unfolded Colin’s plan to its full width. He had once wanted the interruption. The chair faced directly along the border, where you would see the flowers overlap instead of standing separately against the bricks.


The committee note explained why the planting had not gone ahead. It did not explain why he later disliked it. Perhaps he had tried a few plants and changed his mind. Perhaps five more years of staking stems had cured him. Perhaps the rule had become easier to live with once he could experience it as taste.


I put the chair back inside the fold.


At the wall I sat on the upturned bucket I used for weeding. From that height the remaining seed heads stood against the sky rather than the brick. A small brown spider had fastened two of them together. The dead leaves were ugly in a way I had learned to stop seeing in the seed heads of plants I liked.


I moved the bucket to where Colin had drawn his chair. From there the wall was foreshortened and the upright stems stood almost in a row. I could see what he might have wanted. I still preferred it without the hollyhocks. It would have been convenient to find the view beautiful, to have the old plan restore something I had been denied. Instead I sat with the secateurs in my lap, liking what I liked and feeling less comfortable about it. A split seed case brushed my sleeve and left two flat brown seeds on the fabric. I put them in the empty envelope.


I had not discovered a reason to keep every hollyhock. I had lost a reason for speaking as though removing them were a service everyone would recognize.


On my working inventory I crossed out clutter. Then expendable. Then, because I could hear the superiority in it now, clean line. There was quite a lot of white space when I finished. The plants had not become simpler.


I recorded a reference to Colin’s plan, stopped, and recorded it again without making him sound like a man whose secret disappointment I had solved.


By then the sun was on the path beside the evening bed. The primroses there had stiff reddish stems and long buds whose pale seams would open after the visitors had gone. I had kept that corner because it flowered late, though each year I reduced it a little. At our four-thirty closing the plants usually looked unfinished.


I wanted one recommendation that did not require an earlier colleague’s footnote. Public hours were public hours. I could make that distinction without pretending to own it.


New handover, 14:48.


  • Evening primrose, beside the public path. Reduce to the back of the bed, or replace. If it only works after closing, it doesn’t work here.


I stopped. There was a satisfaction in the sentence that I recognized and did not entirely trust. It made a decision sound brisk and necessary. I had also said it aloud alone, among plants whose flowers I had often stayed to see.


Back in the office, I looked for the bed on the archive index. A link near the bottom led to material returned that morning from the records store. I had requested a copy of whatever they held when I began arranging the handover. Most of it was duplicate plans. The new item was an audio file from an uncatalogued reel found with a bundle of planting proposals.


The accession note identified the speaker as Joan Pritchard, caretaker before Colin. The reel had been digitized the previous week; no earlier listening copy was listed. I had not known it existed. The file finished downloading at 15:06.


The proposals were in the same folder. Joan had asked for three dusk openings in summer and a border planted for those evenings. The request was deferred, then declined because the additional hours could not be staffed. A narrow column on the plan listed yellow, white, scent. There were no quantities beside those words. Farther down she had worked out the quantities carefully.


I printed the plan, then opened the audio.


Joan Pritchard, departure report, approximately 1974; newly catalogued reel.


  • The proposed evening openings were not approved. The planting should therefore be reviewed with reference to the existing public hours. This is distinct from the question of whether the proposed plants would grow satisfactorily. I believe they would.


Her voice was level and deliberate. She sounded as though someone might interrupt to ask which decision had actually been authorized. Nobody did. She continued with the position of a tap and a correction to a measurement. I followed the progress bar while holding the paper plan flat.


Near the end there was the sound of something being set down.


  • Those big yellow flowers are very good. I’ve nothing against them. But if it only works after closing, it doesn’t work here.


My hand stayed on the paper.


I heard the here again without pressing anything. Not from the speaker. I was remembering my own sentence, the little fall at its end, the pleasure of closing a matter.


I went back ten seconds. Joan said it again. I opened the recording I had made beside the path. After the plant name and recommendation, I said it too.


I wrote the two times on the inventory: 14:48, 15:06. Beside the second I wrote downloaded, not spoken. Joan’s report was decades old. My file was earlier only than my access to hers.


This mattered. It did not mean what I wanted it to mean, whichever conclusion I wanted at that instant.


Miriam could have heard Joan. Colin could have repeated her. Some sentence of hers might have remained in ordinary use after the tape went into its box. I had spent eighteen years here. Eighteen years was ample time to forget a source.


But I could not remember learning the sentence. I remembered making it. I could still feel the movement of thought toward its final word, the small discovery that here could do the work of an argument.


I listened to my file from the beginning. There was a scuff of my shoe on the path, then the intake of breath before the plant name. I had expected to hear hesitation that would show I was reaching for something already said. I sounded relaxed. The voice was familiar in all the unflattering ways a recording is familiar: a little higher than I expected, a little pleased with its own usefulness. It had not turned into Joan’s voice. I almost wished it had. A difference would have given me somewhere to put my finger.


I pressed my palms against the desk until the old cuts in its surface marked them. Then I let go.


I tried saying it differently, without recording.


“The visitors don’t see the flowers.”


That was not entirely true. Some opened earlier. Visitors saw the buds and leaves whether I valued those or not.


“The main flowering is outside public hours.”


Better. Yet my mouth wanted the quicker ending. After closing. Work here. I heard how readily I could offer you Joan’s disappointment as my efficient little answer.


Disappointment was my inference. She had said the flowers were good. The committee had refused the hours. I had put those facts beside each other. Even now, frightened of being arranged, I was arranging her.


I folded the plan, following its old creases.


On warm evenings I had often sat on the office step after locking the visitor gate. A flower would be shut when I looked away and open when I looked back; then I would watch the next one until impatience defeated me. There had been no reason to put that in an inventory. I had considered those intervals outside the job, a small extra life the garden allowed me. Joan had wanted other people to see it. I could not know whether she had also sat waiting. I wished, quite sharply, that we had had three mornings together.


For a few minutes I listened to nothing. The computer fan ran. Someone let the visitor gate fall shut. Out by the wall a hose coupling dripped into the tray I had left beneath it. It was a sound I had meant to fix for months, and I was grateful for its complete lack of interest in words.


I tried to record an explanation.


  • There is something you should listen to before you begin changing the evening bed.


Already I was postponing your work. I went on for a while, giving you the order of the recordings, the places to pause, the phrases to compare. I knew where to put the silence so that Joan’s sentence would arrive as it had arrived for me. I could produce the effect again.


On playback I heard myself asking you to notice everything I had noticed, in exactly the same order. You would meet the primroses through that sentence before you had touched a leaf. The instruction not to trust my instructions was becoming the longest instruction of all.


I looked at the clock, not because I had to hurry, but because I had spent most of an hour trying to make a stranger share the precise shape of my afternoon. The wet patch from my sleeve had dried on Joan’s proposal. I wanted someone to hear what I had heard. That was not the same thing as something you needed to know before watering.


Then I made a copy of my handover folder and began taking things out of the working version.


First the remarks about Miriam. Then the reference to Colin. I deleted the note I had just made about Joan, though not her file or my earlier recording. I crossed out the archive references on the inventory. The next caretaker needed to get through a first week. They did not need me leaning over their shoulder from three different decades.


I started a new recording at the desk.


  • Watering. Check the east bed first. It is the bed most likely to—


I stopped. It dried sooner than the north border in some weather; in other weather the south corner needed attention first. I had meant the anemone. Even stripped of adjectives, my instructions were taking you toward the place I had been looking all afternoon.


Another attempt.


  • Retain the existing planting unless there is a practical reason to change it.


That sounded generous. It also gave every one of my accumulated decisions the authority of being there before you.


I deleted the file.


The growing pile of crossed-out paper annoyed me. I had never required a philosophy in order to tell someone where a spanner was. I put the tapes back in their cases, intending to stop for a while, and noticed writing inside Miriam’s cover: Redo. Water, tools, dates. Leave Colin out of it.


Her finished cassette had left him out. It had not left out his wall.


I replayed the opening of Colin’s tape. Earlier discussions omitted; the garden as it stood. He sounded pleased to be saving his replacement trouble. I had liked him for that when I first heard it.


There was no accusation to make. I had his plan because he had kept it. I had Miriam’s weary notes because she had not thought to destroy them. Their simplifications had not been complete, and the parts left untidy were useful to me now.


I went outside with the secateurs and no phone.


Water from the last shower still lay across the drainage edge near the public path. A sycamore sapling had rooted in the silt collected at the grate. Its two lowest leaves were spotted with mud; above them, the new growth was clean. I had stepped around the puddle twice without attending to it.


I lifted the grate. The roots had bound a pad of wet leaves across the openings. With that lifted away, the standing water ran into the drain. I cleared the remaining silt, pulled the little tree free, and set the grate back.


Nothing in the archive was needed to establish what had happened. The obstruction was out. The water was moving. I carried the sapling to the compost, its fine roots holding scraps of black leaf, and felt neither particularly independent nor particularly cruel.


Back at the desk I wrote: Drainage edge. Remove growth obstructing the grate. Check after leaf fall.


I left that sentence alone.


The sapling had been no less alive than the flowers I was reconsidering. It would have made a tree in a place where there was room for one. I had not given it a hearing, or consulted the oldest drainage plan to discover who first objected to trees at that edge. I had watched the water go down. My certainty was only as wide as the grate, but it was sufficient for the job.


There were other things I could still say. The capped pipe was capped. The north border had been kept low by at least three caretakers. I preferred seeing the brick. Joan had wanted people here after dusk. I had just given her sentence a new recording date.


These were not the same kind of statement. I drew four headings on a fresh sheet.


It was a smaller undertaking than explaining what had happened to me. That was partly why I could do it.


I kept the original recordings intact and put my early attempts in a folder marked DRAFTS, with the afternoon’s date. I restored the references to the older sources on the inventory, beside the relevant plants, not across its front page. Then I made a short index: speaker, year, bed, file or tape. I included the entire recordings, not just the passages I had chosen. You could hear where they had disagreed with my account simply by continuing to listen.


There was room on the reverse of the sheet for the access details and a short note about the matching sentences. I wrote down the sequence without calling it proof of anything else. I did not print the sentence in large type. It did not need assistance being memorable.


Under the anemone entry I first wrote Miriam’s rule, then changed it to Miriam’s advice. I added the later passage about keeping some of the clump. Colin’s plan went beside his contrary recommendation; I did not place either on top as the corrected version. For Joan I listed the proposal as well as the recording.


I left the index inside the tin, with a note on the inventory saying where it was. The lid closed without my having to press it down.


Outside, I untied the red cord from the anemone. It had flattened one leaf against a stem. I eased the leaf away; the crease remained. The shoots across the path still needed attention, so I removed those and left the main clump growing. Its future extent would be a real piece of work, not a gift I could make costless by changing the label.


At the north wall I gathered the hollyhock seed heads loosely with twine so they would not fall across the bed. I left the seedlings. On the old white-flowered plant’s label I added the year in pencil. It was information I had and you would not. I labelled the seed envelope too and put it with the inventory.


The evening primroses stayed too, including the ones at the front. I stood beside them long enough to notice that a bud I had described as closed was beginning to separate at its tip. I did not stay to see what conclusion could be made of that.


I read the four headings into the phone, leaving a little space between them.


  • Material condition. The east irrigation branch under the path is capped. The shutoff is marked on the plan. Keep the drainage grate clear; roots and leaf debris obstructed it today. I removed them and checked the flow.

  • Established practice. The anemone has been contained within the east bed, and the north-wall planting kept low. The inventory names the earlier sources. These practices have reduced maintenance, though they are not the only possible arrangements.

  • My preference. I like the wall visible, and I dislike finding anemone shoots under the hose. I have often described both preferences more firmly than that. I have left the main clump and the hollyhocks in place.

  • History attached. There are older planting plans and recordings, indexed by bed. Some recommendations changed, and some wording recurs. I have noted where I can identify a source, and where I cannot. The maintenance information does not depend on listening to all of it.


I stopped there. You might prefer a bare wall. You might hear three ordinary people and one person making too much of them. There was nothing in the arrangement that required you to reassure me.


I listened once for errors. Then I added the last sentence, saved the file, and copied it to the office computer.


It took longer than expected to remove my name from the office door. The first letters lifted cleanly; the final ones broke into small pieces. Beneath them the paint was darker. I wiped it and stopped when wiping ceased to help.


The inventory lay on the desk, the archive tin beneath it. The nozzle was in its proper drawer. I locked the office and dropped the key through the return slot.


On the way out I passed the white anemones, the bound seed heads, the primroses still mostly shut.


The last sentence on the recording was one I had listened to before leaving. I had let it remain in my voice.


  • Leave it for the next hand.