I make this record for the one who will inherit the room after the instruments have cooled, after the screens have gone black in their careful sequence, after the last technician has signed beneath the hour and carried his ordinary body home through rain, believing the walls remained where we measured them, believing a wall is faithful because a ruler can be laid against it.
Keep the line unbroken.
At 02:17 the eastern glass began to brighten without source, not dawn, not transformer flare, not traffic dragged upward from the avenue, but a color with no patience for the names we gave color, a severe and tender burning that entered violet, exceeded violet, returned wearing green like a wound wearing moss, and there within it stood—or seemed to stand, because standing presumes a floor and these had no agreement with the floor—several tall articulations of brightness, jointed by intervals my eye could follow only until my eye remembered itself.
I wrote figures, then bodies, then figures again; I crossed out messengers, I crossed out machines, I wrote atmospheric refraction and the phrase looked ashamed beneath my hand, for each shape bent around an interior absence as if emptiness were load-bearing, as if nothing had been appointed to hold nothing upright, and between their limbs ran relations that could not remain relations once I counted them: five distances became seven when approached, parallel edges met without turning, the narrowest opening contained the greatest depth.
Keep the line unbroken.
I checked the camera, the camera checked nothing; its frames showed only the room made pale, chair, table, cable, cup with the coffee ring drying into its little brown continent, yet the audio carried a pulse below hearing, twenty-nine seconds of pressure repeated every twenty-nine seconds, and when I slowed it the pattern did not resemble speech until I marked the silences, and then the silences resembled my breathing.
Not my breath as it was recorded.
My breath as it would become.
And I tell you this because method was still useful then, because terror had not yet learned my syntax, because I could still say sensor failure and mean an object outside myself had failed, because I could still distinguish between what entered the room and what entered the account of the room, and blessed is that poverty, that little kingdom of nouns, that cupboard where each thing sleeps beneath one label and does not wake wearing another.
By morning the measurements had migrated into places where measurements had no business: the stairwell rose one flight farther in reflection than in concrete, my left palm acquired a faint lattice visible only when I closed my eyes, the archivist in Building C telephoned to ask why I had sent her a diagram I had not drawn, and my daughter, half-asleep, touching the hinge of my jaw before breakfast, said there were too many corners in my face.
I laughed.
God help the precision of what we laugh at first.
The second night I entered alone, because curiosity can dress itself as duty with very little tailoring, because shame will make a man brave in the wrong direction, because I had written impossible three times in the preliminary memorandum and could not bear the word unless I had exhausted every smaller word beneath it, and because the figures returned when the clock lost one minute between 02:16 and 02:18, returned not in the glass now but around me, their brightness folding without casting shadow, their limbs opening like propositions for which flesh had never invented grammar.
Keep the line—
No.
There was no line.
There had never been a line except the one I required in order to remain the creature who stood on this side pointing toward that side, the creature with the clipboard, the pulse, the private history, the scar beneath the thumb, the childhood name, the password, the grief kept folded in its designated drawer; and the radiances did not cross toward me, because toward was among the errors, and they did not surround me, because around was another, and they did not speak, though every bone in my ear became suddenly articulate.
What I had called shapes were permissions.
What I had called distances were refusals.
What I had called myself was the final obstruction.
And the pattern opened—not before me but through the place where before had been—and I saw nothing that sight can keep, only that the world had been assembling itself from agreements so ancient and so intimate we mistook them for laws, that each object endured by consenting to be less than all it could contain, that stone relinquished flame, that blood relinquished ocean, that a face relinquished the innumerable faces buried inside its possibility, and that consciousness, proud clerk of the visible, survives by closing almost every door.
Then the doors ceased asking my permission.
I became many angles of one astonishment; I remembered events that had never happened to me but fit my grief with terrible accuracy; I heard my name distributed through metallic rain, infant cough, elevator bell, buried root, the electrical murmur in an empty theatre; I felt the room perceive me from every surface at once, not with malice, not with mercy, but with the unbearable intimacy of a system discovering one of its own forgotten operations.
You will want to ask whether I surrendered.
Listen carefully.
There was no gesture.
A fist cannot congratulate itself for opening after the hand is gone.
At 04:03 the eastern glass shattered inward without impact; the pulse stopped; the figures vanished; the room resumed its dimensions; I sealed the recordings, disconnected the array, burned the diagram the archivist received, and watched the paper curl into black petals whose edges met where no edges should meet.
The local breach is closed.
My reflection is not.
Sometimes, in windows after midnight, it turns a fraction before I do, and sometimes my daughter looks past me as though someone taller has entered, and sometimes this sentence arrives complete before I have chosen its final word.
So when you open the room, bring no mirror.
Bring no ruler.
Bring whatever name you can bear to lose.
The line keeps you unbroken.
.png)